Entry requirements
The University accepts a wide range of overseas qualifications. Applicants offering non- British qualifications are advised to write to the Undergraduate Admissions Officer to confirm the acceptability of such examinations before submitting their application forms through UCAS. International and European Baccalaureate qualifications are accepted by all departments. See the Undergraduate Prospectus for specific levels.


 For entry to a postgraduate program, you should apply direct to the relevant department - to the Course Director on form AR2 for a program of advanced study or to the Head of Department on form AR3 for a research degree (these forms can be obtained from Course Directors or Heads of Department). You should also enclose proof of any qualifications you already possess.

Please read the note below concerning advice from your local British Council office. If you apply on an ECS form you do not have to complete the University's postgraduate admission form.

* Entry requirements
The usual entry requirement to a postgraduate program is a first degree of a British University or its equivalent. In order to assess easily the equivalence of an overseas qualification to a British degree, you should submit not only a certified copy of your qualifications but also a transcript of your academic record showing grades to indicate your level of achievement. Consideration is given both to the grading of your qualifications and also to its relevance to the program for which you are applying. Relevant experience may also be taken into consideration. The qualifications accepted by Brunel are continuously under review.

 Advice on the application procedure for all courses can be obtained from British Council offices overseas. In the following countries, the British Council offers an Education Counseling Service (ECS) which, in addition to giving advice to prospective applicants, will forward completed application forms: Brunei, China, Cyprus, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand and Turkey.


Coping with the English Language

Coping with the Language
For you to gain the maximum advantage from your study at Brunel, the University requires all overseas students whose first language is not English to be able to write, speak and understand English well. Poor ability makes lectures and classes difficult. Use of the library, success in examinations and social contact all depend on a good knowledge of the language.

Command of English
In some cases, the University may ask you to prove your command of English. As a guide, the levels of attainment shown in the table are the minimum considered satisfactory for entry to study at Brunel. English language tuition either during your course or immediately prior to joining your course is available from Brunel's Language Center, but it must be stressed that this is to improve already existing skills. Classes are available four days a week during the Autumn and Spring to all registered students whose native language is not English. Those interested should contact the Language Center.

The following table is a guide to the required levels of attainment in English language for overseas applicants coming to Brunel



Level C



Level 3


Certificate of Advanced English

Level C





Test in English (Overseas)


British Council


Level 6.5 (for degrees in Technology)
Level 7 (for degrees in Maths, Science, Social Sciences, Humanities, Arts and Education)

Reading University


Level 4



Levels 2 or 1


GCE/GCSE English Language

Level C


Certificate of Attainment

4 and 5 (UG) or 5 and 6 (PG)


TOEFL (Paper)

570 (UG) or 585 (PG) (for degrees in Technology, Maths, Science, Education)
585 (UG) or 600 (PG) (for degrees in Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts)


TOEFL (Computer-based)

230(UG) or 238(PG) (for degrees in Technology, Maths, Science and Education
238(UG) or 250(PG) (for degrees in Social Sciences, Humanities and Art


             Back to Top                 Back to ENGLAND